Friday, June 22, 2007

Baseball Books

Dear Mary,
Not only do I have a Shoeless Joe fixation but I also really like the baseball books written by Mark Harris. The Southpaw is the first one I read but my favorite is Bang the Drum Slowly which is a sequal to The Southpaw. They made a movie of it with DeNiro and it is almost as good as the book. I read once where Mark said he wrote Bang the Drum Slowly in about 3 weeks when he needed some money. It is a great book.
Harris has a quote at the beginning of his book that is from the book The Huge Season by Wright Morris. I might have to find that one too.
When I lo0ked up Mark on Wikipedia I saw that he just died this May 30th.

I also really like The Year The Yankees Lost The Pennant by Douglas Wallop. You may have seen the movie Damn Yankees.

No comments:

Post a Comment