Saturday, December 19, 2009

Our Christmas Tree

Dear Family,

The tree is up in Whitefish! I don't know about those cousins in Missoula, whether they have trees up or not, since they'll all be going places for Christmas (not here). But school is out, I have precious precious time off (hence the post) and we have a tree, and people are coming over for Christmas Day dinner and did I mention I have time off? Even though it doesn't start until Christmas Eve I feel ecstatic about it. Lounge-y about it. Still in my pajamas about it. And here is the tree, thanks to Jon Drew for the inspiration, me for the first visualization, and Brian for bringing the concept to life.

It is not a photogenic tree. The pictures do not do justice to its...uniqueness.


And here's Katie, dressed in her Santa's Elf costume - she won a "Spirit" prize at school (forgot to ask: "spirit of what?")



Missing is the peaked elf hat which sings a song when a button is pressed..."We are Santa's elves, we are Santa's elves, etc." Horribly obnoxious, except I do like the peak which flaps and wiggles to the music (more or less). However, a dress with candy canes on it overcomes a singing hat any day. Imagine a dress with chocolates! I'd soon be naked.

So we are pretty much on the road to being ready for guests on Christmas Day except...why, oh why don't I have Mom's Broccoli Salad recipe anywhere?

Love, Mary

2 comments:

  1. BROCCOLI SALAD

    2 lg. heads broccoli
    1 small onion
    bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
    8 oz. pkg. Mozzarella cheese
    (Mom prefers sharp Cheddar)
    1 c. mayonnaise
    1/4 c. sugar (optional, I don't use it)
    2 tbsp. vinegar or fresh lemon juice (I use lemon)

    Mix dressing ingredients together about 2 hours in advance.
    Cut broccoli flowerettes from broccoli head leaving a very short stem. Cut the flowerette in bite sized pieces if they are large.
    Combine broccoli, finely cut onion, fried bacon (crumbled). Add grated cheese. Mix in dressing and chill
    Love,
    Your sister Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprise surprise, I am so happy to see the Royal Oak being put to such good use. I have missed her so much. We lived together for 15+ years, we almost never argued. Those were good times. I can't count the number of times she kept me cuddly/cozy/warm on many a stormy winter night. thank you again for keeping her on display and sharing the season with her. JD

    ReplyDelete