Sunday, March 20, 2022

Embroidery on my new (to me) Willcox and Gibbs handcrank.

My first piece sewn with the Willcox and Gibbs.
I did it!

I ordered an antique sewing machine on the internet.  I have heard all the horror stories but Wolfegang's Collectibles has a sterling reputation and I felt safe.

I have been wanting a Willcox and Gibbs handcrank chain stitch machine for a while. When I saw Michael had a selection I was first in line.  

This is what the box looked like when I picked it up at the post office.

The box with the machine in it.

And this is what it looked like after I opened it.

Really?  There is a sewing machine in there?

I started removing the grey stuff. 
It is fairly stiff foam.  Lots and lots of foam.

Eventually I could access the box the machine was in. It was wrapped tightly with cling wrap.
Cling wrapped box. 
I was excited to open it.  When I did it found....
MORE FOAM!

This was what was in it.  I had to remove one piece to even see the machine.  
Anybody need some foam?

Eventually, with much careful foam removal, I uncovered this little beauty.
         More cling wrap!

And then I got it out.  It was in there very tight!  I put the spool holder and the crank on. They had been removed (and cling wrapped) for safe shipping.  Then I admired it greatly.
So pretty!

I had to clean and polish it up and oil it a lot and play with it a little.  It is working perfectly, the tension is correct and I am thrilled to have it.

So, anyone want some foam?


Hugs,
Nancy







2 comments:

  1. Such a unique design! I'll need to visit for you to teach me about how these beautiful, mysterious machines work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His packing is amazing!

    ReplyDelete