Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Autumn Leaves


One of the things I always loved about growing up in Minneapolis were the leaves in the fall. All colors, big and bright would fall into our yard. Now, living in North Dakota I don't have that abundance of color in the fall. I have planted some trees in the yard, Paul, helped me, years ago. But they are trees that are suited for our climate, and although they are Maples, they are Silver Maples or crossed with Silver Maples and I get yellow brown leaves. At least I finally get some leaves anyway.

I don't know what it is about the leaves that I love. The crunch underfoot maybe? I do know I love the colors. And I know that this year the leaves are littering my yard in a handsome manner and I keep peeking out the windows to look at them even though most of them are not a very pretty color.
This is my 'cat' fence, with leaves.

What brought me out with the camera was the view from the back door onto my new porch. The leaves of the Amur Maples are dropping onto it and looking quite colorful.

All of us have noticed it. Some of us escaped into the yard to look at it more closely. Abbie from the inside.

Yes, Alice is out. She is such a sneak.

In the back near the new deck are two Amur Maples I planted years ago. These are small trees, sometimes grown as shrubs with lovely fall color.

At least for North Dakota this is about as good as it gets.
I appreciate every little bit of color there is on these two trees. These were the ones with lots of branches down last week after the heavy wet snow. The trees themselves are now very twisted and broken looking with large empty spots where branches used to be. The leaves though are still beautiful.
Love,
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. I love each season for the beauty they bring ... your leaves are pretty.

    Have a warm, wonderful week. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete