Monday, August 31, 2009

Nancy gets a porch


Hi there Mary and Jeni,
I have wanted a decent sized back porch for a long time. Partly because my knees don't like the last step up into the house. Partly because the back steps are rickety and the 3x4 top is tiny.

I wanted it bigger and I wanted it level with the threshold and I didn't want to paint it, ever. Fussy aren't I?
My friend Deb found a couple of guys who worked on her church. She said they knew what they were doing and they were trustworthy. You can't ask for much more than that!
Then I found out one of them was married to Becky who I have known for 15 years or so and that sealed the deal.
They told me they couldn't do it until later in the year. I was thinking maybe October or so. However the weather has been nice and except for the rainy weekend that caused them to frame up the deck in their garage (I think) the work went zip zip zip! So the first week they framed up the deck and brought it out to the farm where it lay in the grass and teased me.
Then they came out the next weekend and put in cement post supports.
Last Friday when Jim and I got back from Minneapolis the trailer of materials was parked near the garden.
On Saturday they did the decking and the stairs.
Alice supervised from the mud room sink.
On Sunday they put up the railing and finished the trim.
I have spent the last 24 hours lugging things to the new porch to decorate it.
I just love it.
It is made of recycled plastic and wood and it will never need to be painted!
Thank you Karl and Knute!
You did a good job. Now when I pick up the tops for the posts we will be all set!
Nancy

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! It's perfect! And Karl and Knute, it's almost like they came from Lake Woebegone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup!
    They are Lutherans too! However neither one of them is a bachelor.
    Really nice guys.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get over your new porch. I want one for my house too. It will have to wait. After all, insulation and windows that open and close would be nice!

    ReplyDelete