Thursday, August 14, 2008

Operation Migration Quilt

Hi Mary,

Yesterday I took the quilt top I am making for Operation Migration to the long-arm quilter. I have chosen and cut the backing, the binding and selected the thread color to quilt it. She promises to have it done for me by the first of September so I can get the binding on and have it finished for the Necedah Crane Fest the third weekend of September.

I am really happy with this one. This is the first one I have tried to put up more than just a One-Block Wonder style quilt. In this one I have designed an Ultralight in flight and 18 cranes flying behind it. It was sort of hard to arrange the cranes. I could easily have put them in line one after the other but that wouldn't have looked 'right'. So I guess this is a Crane 'rodeo'. Perhaps just after lift off on a fall day in Tennessee (maybe) with the Cranes fighting to get up to the wing and into position for the flight.

I chose eighteen cranes for the lost 2006 cranes. This is also sort of a memorial quilt for the lost 2006 cranes. They are still flying in my heart and so they are flying now in my quilt. I put the lightest hexagons in the middle where the triangle cranes are positioned so they are flying in the light.

Although it makes me sad to remember them, I am proud of the quilt and the meaning it has for me.
This is the first Operation Migration Quilt I made. It was raffled off at the Crane Fest in 2006. It was won by Heather Ray. And I remember watching her write her name on raffle ticket after raffle ticket so I am sure she bought more than anyone else that day. I saw Joe Duff slip her some money for tickets. I wonder if she shares it with him?
This is last years Raffle Quilt. It didn't get raffled off until 2008 and I would have to look back to see how long it took the Cranes to get down to Florida. Late January I think. Anyway we had a lo-ong time to sell the tickets last year instead of just the one day of the CraneFest. I was happy to learn that Deke Clarke who is one of the original pilots for OM won that quilt. He didn't even buy a ticket either. His 'better half' bought them and put his name on them because she "never wins a thing".
I expect my family to get together and buy a ton of tickets this year cause I really don't want to let the quilt go. But, just like the OM people every year, I guess I will have to let it fly free. That is the reason we do all the work.
Love,

Nancy



3 comments:

  1. Okay, I'll pass the word around that we're supposed to fork out for your quilt. If I win it, do I have to give it back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, Just as long as I get to visit it occasionally.
    Love
    NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nancy. I wanted to thank you for the card, directing me here, and to tell you that, when I opened the box with your quilt in it, I cried. My partner asked me why I was crying, and all I could say was, "Because I love the cranes." I believe that things that we "put ourselves into" (like your quilt) carry our energy with them. Having read your blog about the meaning behind this quilt, I now understand my tears. Your quilt is beautiful, and I will cherish it always. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete