Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Slow Cooker beef roast recipe


HI Mary,

I was sending this to our nephew Joe Koski and I thought a sleep deprived, hard studying sister might want a slow-cooker recipe. So here is a great one if your husband likes meat. Jim loves this. I like it too as it is very easy!

Here is an original slow cooker recipe from me. I invented it one night when I didn't have the onion soup/dip mix my usual recipe called for. I went to my Spice Islands cookbook and got a recipe for home made onion dip and adapted it for the recipe and it was great. And way better than the mix.
3-4 pound chuck roast
1 can cream of soup... used celery last time, often use mushroom
1 large sweet onion in chunks
1T. beef base...the one that starts with an ingredient called beef, (not salt). I use 'Better than Bouillion' organic.
1T. Worcestershire sauce
1t. Tabasco (or more of course. This amount only adds flavor.)
That's it. Slow cooker overnight on low if you stay up late. I always like it better after 12 hours. Turn it over after 5-6 hours (or in the morning) so it all gets under the juice. Otherwise the top gets hard. Twelve hours makes it fork tender. The onions are yummy. Use the leftover meat and liquid as a base for homemade Vegetable Beef soup.
Alice says 'Hi'. Actually Alice says 'Obey me all you peons' but we pretend she says 'Hi'.
Love,
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I use Better than Bullion too! Look, it's not even 7:30 yet and guess what I'm doing...the usual. Brian is cooking breakfast for me. When he leaves I'm going to live on peanut better, I bet!
    Thanks for the recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete