Thursday, June 28, 2007

Iconic Whitefish, Montana view - with a little history thrown in.


This is it: the train yards, looking east from the viaduct one evening. The gap between the two mountains in the foreground is known as Bad Rock Canyon. The mountain to the left is Teakettle, to the right is Columbia Mountain. The big mountain you can see through the gap is Great Northern, which is in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex. Check out those last two webpages. That guy has fantastic photographs.
But I'm just a home town gal, so I like my picture of trains with a view. Anyone who goes over the viaduct to go to work can see this view twice a day, pretty much. It's good for the soul.
Here's another picture you'll recognize, Nancy:

Amtrak's Empire Builder arriving in the morning - late, as usual. This was taken from the fire escape from the third floor office of the Stumptown Historical Society, which bought the Depot for a dollar a few years ago, restored it, and now maintains it as a working passenger train depot, offices, and of course, the Stumptown Museum.
P.S. I just noticed that in this second picture, you can see where I was standing when I took the first picture the night before. See the concrete curve of the bridge? I was at the right end of that curve, facing right to the depot.

2 comments:

  1. Mary I love the links in this post. I have been looking at them on and off all day. So do you know this guy? He lives in Missoula and is 60! and seems to be crazy in a Jon Drew type of way.

    http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=14484

    Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, never heard of him before I found the link to Great Northern Mtn.

    ReplyDelete